Name: Hans Conrad GROFF (GRAF)
Given Name: Hans Conrad
Surname: Groff (Graf)
Birth: 1 Jul 1683 in Sinsheim, Germany.
Death: 7 May 1746 in New Holland, Lancaster Co, PA
Burial: Old Groffdale Church Cem., Lancaster Co, PA
immigration: 1696 (refugee from Switzerland)
also know as Hans Graf or Hans Graeff
first stayed in Germantown then moved with other Mennonite families to Pequea Creek about 1708-09
land that was part of or adjoining the original Pequea Colony of 1710.
He sold this land to Abraham Dubois and moved to W. Earl Twp 1717
1,150 acres were surveyd Oct 4, 1718 in Earl Twp (in the vicinity of Groffdale)
in 1724 bought another 250 acres from Martin Kendig and Hans Herr
2 warrants were surveyed to Hans Graaf in a single tract on Oct 10,
1727 for which a deed was made to him by Thomas Penn on Nov 18, 1737.
Total 1,419 acres on a branch of the Conestoga (Groff's Run)
paid was 141 pounds 18 shillings plus 1 English silver shilling quit
rent for every hundred acres to be paid annually on the 1st of March in
the city of Lancaster
Built a mill
on south side of Conestoga right at the point where the Cocalico
enters. (No evidence of this mill exists, except it is listed as a
corner of Warwick Twp when it was laid out in 1729.)
naturalized with many others on 14 Oct 1729
Earl Twp was organized in 1729 and given the name Earl (English equivalent of Graaf)
Hans was one of the persons named to lay out the "Kings High Road" from Lancaster to Phiadelphia in 7133
of his estate made on May 5, 1746 declared his worth to be 648 pounds,
3 shillings, the most valuable asset was "the Plantation", 300 pounds.
Susan Orendorf KENDIG b: 1678 in Ittlingen, Heidelberg, Baden, Germany.
- Veronica GROFF b: 1706 in Germantown, Philadelphia Co, PA